General and specific information for race time from the race Doctor
General information from Dr Ben Winrow.
To all competitors – please read the above link and ensure you are up to date with all vaccinations – it is your responsibility to ensure you are adequately covered to avoid preventable and serious disease.
- It is also important that you visit your dentist prior to coming to Nepal. Deterioration in chronic dental issues that can be prevented prior to arrival in Nepal will put a halt to you enjoying your time and will put unnecessary strain on our medical services.
- Ladies please ensure you are not pregnant prior to arrival in Nepal.
- If you are planning to engage in sexual activity please do so responsibly.
- Being ultra-runners you will be well versed in looking after minor scrapes and bruises, stomach upsets, D+V and minor ailments. I will be on hand to look after any accidents and or emergencies.
- There will be a ‘rolling’ clinic in the evenings – this will include troubleshooting for the next day and also keeping an eye on those of us who may be developing issues. In light of this there will be a questionnaire to fill out on some of the nights – it is quick, easy and evidenced based and allows me to see who may be heading towards acute mountain sickness and/or worse. Please engage with these activities as it will make my job easier and also, hopefully, prevent anything serious developing.
- If you have any chronic conditions e.g diabetes etc – you will need to bring double the amount of medication you would anticipate using under normal circumstances.
I look forward to meeting you all and running with you – this will be the trip/race/trek of a lifetime!